Register to Vote
Who can Register to Vote in DC?
You are eligible to register to vote in the District of Columbia if you are
- a United States Citizen
- a resident of the District of Columbia
- at least 16 years old (you will not be eligible to vote yet)
- Not in jail on a felony conviction
- Not found by a court to be legally incompetent to vote
- Not claiming voting residence outside of the District of Columbia
You must be registered in your state of legal residence. If you've moved permanently into or out of the District of Columbia, you must re-register in your new state. If you'll be temporarily away from home during the election, you can vote by absentee ballot with your state of legal residence.
Voter Registration ID Requirements
When registering to vote, you must bring one of the following items:
- Current and valid government-issued photo identification card showing your address
- Current utility bill with your address
- Bank statement with your address
- Government-issued check with your address
- Paycheck or paycheck stub with your name and address
- Other government-issued document that shows your name and address
You do not need identification to vote in DC unless you are a first-time voter and registered by mail, online, or with a third party.
Four Ways to Register to Vote
You can now register to vote in the District of Columbia online at Vote411.org. Fill out and submit the application.
Deadline to know: Your application must be submitted online no later than 23 days before the election.
You can request a voter registration form to be mailed to you if you call 1-866-DC-VOTES. Fill out and sign the form and return by mail.
Deadline to know: Your application must be postmarked no later than 30 days before Election Day and received by the BOE no later than 23 days before the election.
When you go vote
You can register to vote in person at your assigned polling location and vote that day. Bring ID with you to your polling location. You will be allowed to cast a Provisional Ballot in the election.
Find your polling location at www.vote4dc.com.
Make certain your Voter Registration is Accurate and Updated
Moved or changed your name?
You must fill out a new voter registration form if you have moved to a new address, changed your name, or wish to change your party. You can fill out a new form in person, online, or by mail. Directions and deadlines are the same as a new voter registration. See the directions at the top of this page.
Confirm your Registration
Can't remember if you registered to vote? Did you register to vote recently and want to make certain your on the list?
The DC Board of Elections now allows you to check and update your voter registration online. Enter your name, date of birth, and zip code to make certain your voter registration status is correct. Check your status here >>