Military & Overseas Voting FAQs


If you are a DC resident serving in the US military or living overseas, you can vote in the District of Columbia.

If you are eligible to vote in DC elections and are ...

  • active duty military and their dependents
  • members of the Coast Guard
  • commissioned corps of the U. Public Health Service
  • commissioned corps of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric administration
  • the Merchant Marine
  • civilian citizens of the United States living overseas

The District also allows US citizens who were born overseas the opportunity to vote at the same address where a parent most recently lived in the United States.

Click here for details on how to register and vote>>

Emergency Absentee Ballot

If you are concerned that you may not be able to receive or cast your ballot in time for it to be counted, federal law allows military and overseas voters to use the Federal Write-In Absentee Ballot (online application or PDF) to cast votes in all contests.

In the District of Columbia, you can use the FWAB to register to vote as well as to request an absentee ballot and to cast your vote in all federal and District contests on the ballot.

For a list of contests and candidates to write in, see our Voter Guide.