The DC Statehood Toolkit
The DC Statehood Toolkit was created by the League of Women Voters Education Fund and the League of Women Voters of the District of Columbia Education Fund with a generous grant from the government of the District of Columbia.
The DC Statehood Toolkit is designed for chapters of the League of Women Voters across the country to engage their communities in education and advocacy in support of statehood for the District of Columbia.
Why does this matter?
Since 1801, the residents of the District of Columbia have had no representation in Congress. Nor have they been able to govern themselves without interference from Congress.
DC residents are convinced that only statehood will assure that DC citizens have the same rights and protection that residents in the 50 states enjoy. In November 2016, DC citizens voted overwhelming in favor of petitioning Congress for statehood - this is the first step in the statehood process.
DC citizens can't achieve statehood on our own. We need the support of citizens across the country to achieve the rights other Americans take for granted.
Join us in Making Democracy Work for everyone.
DC Statehood Toolkit
- Slideshow: Fixing the Hole in Our Democracy. Powerpoint presentation used in the on-site presentations with local League. This powerpoint can be used by state and local Leagues and other organizations for educational programs on statehood for DC.
- Statehood for the People of DC: History, Facts, and Path Toward Statehood. Powerpoint presentation that can be used at any community event.
- The Changing Face of DC Governance over Time. A short history of ways that DC has been governed since its founding in 1790,
- How the District of Columbia is Governed in 2016. Beyond Congress, the President, and the Supreme Court, how do things work in DC at the community level?
- Congressional Intervention in DC Local Affairs. Congress has final say over all DC laws for the purpose of protecting the national interest, but it often goes further than that.
- How Does the World View Violations of Equal Political Participation for DC Citizens? DC's case has been presented to multiple international human rights commissions, resulting in serious critiques of the USA for its treatment of DC citizens.
- League of Women Voters Efforts to Achieve Full Voting Rights for DC Citizens. The League has been a staunch advocate of equality for DC. Read a thumbnail history of the work done since LWV's founding.
- The Rights of DC Citizens are in Your Hands. Here are concrete suggestions for what you can do right now to help fix this hole in our democracy.
- Map of the Proposed State of New Columbia and the Federal District.
Questions or Comments?
Do you have questions about DC Statehood or this Toolkit? Please let us know.