Here you’ll find some media tools and suggestions that you can use, but please feel free to extend our reach with your creativity!
Media outreach is an important tool in spreading the word about Statehood and DC Voting Rights, and Fixing the Hole in Our Democracy. Traditional media outreach approaches include letters to the editor, meetings with editorial boards and guest op-eds. Social media engagement is another way to reach the public through channels such as Facebook and Twitter.
Make sure to join the LWV-DC-Full-Rights-Alert Google Group where individuals and Leagues can share information, ideas, and more on DC Statehood and Voting Rights. Interested members can sign up for our Google Group on
Traditional Media Outreach
Traditional media outreach approaches include letters to the editor, meetings with editorial boards and guest op-eds. This language can be used as a template for an op-ed, blog or letter to the editor:
League of Women Voters Supports Statehood for D.C Citizens OR LWV (your League) Supports Efforts to Fix the Hole in our Democracy
For over 200 years, the residents of the District of Columbia have been denied a voice in our national government and sovereignty over state and local affairs. The people of Washington, D.C. deserve the same rights that the people in all 50 states enjoy. District residents are required to fulfill all the obligations of U.S. citizenship—paying taxes, voting, and serving on juries and in the military. But they don’t have the same equal representation in Washington.
This is why the League of Women Voters of (your League) calls on our members of Congress to support statehood legislation for the District of Columbia. Statehood legislation, which requires a simple majority vote and cannot be repealed, is the way that every state, except for the original 13, became part of the United States. The residents of the District of Columbia have voted in support of statehood, approved a state constitution, a representative form of government and proposed boundaries. The next step is Congressional passage of statehood legislation.
The League of Women Voters of the District of Columbia and the League of Women Voters of the United States have put together information on our websites about the continuing fight for full rights for the District. The League of Women Voters is working to assure statehood for the District of Columbia. We urge you to join us in this effort.
For League chapters hosting a Toolkit training, you can download this flyer and edit it in word.
Social Media Outreach
- Share League-developed quizzes, papers and visuals in your Facebook posts.
- Remember that visuals are important on Facebook and help posts gather more engagement, including likes and shares. Most of our toolkit pages stored on this site have images that automatically feed into a Facebook post. You
- Tweet out support for DC Statehood both on your League accounts and on your personal accounts.
- Mention the LWVDC Twitter account @LWVDC in your tweets so they can be retweeted.
- Tweets with images regularly perform better than simple text. Adding a graphic or photo to your tweet does not use any extra characters.
- Make sure to retweet posts on DC statehood from your individual members or other Leagues for greater visibility. You can find those posts by looking up existing hashtags like:
- Tweets should be short and persuasive. Some sample twitter posts include:
- Fix the hole in democracy: Support #DCStatehood! #51stState
- We are DC, we are America: statehood for DC citizens! #DCvote#DCStatehood
- DC – the 51st State! #DCstatehood #DCvote
- I stand for #DCstatehood! #DCVote #51stState
On Your Website
Use your organization's website to share links to quizzes and papers within the toolkit. Feature the two quizzes or post links to the articles each month.
Join the DC Full Rights Alert Google Group!
Our dedicated DC Full Rights Alert Google Group is where individuals and league chapters from across the country can share information, ideas, and more on DC Statehood and Voting Rights. Fill out this form and we will add you to the group.