The League of Women Voters is a nonpartisan organization that encourages the informed and active participation in government. We are a grassroots organization of people who want to make a difference in the political future of our communities. We work to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
We are the League of Women Voters of the District of Columbia
We are a state chapter of the League of Women Voters of the United States and a member of the League of Women Voters of the National Capital Area. As a state and local chapter, we work locally to serve the citizens of the District of Columbia. We are a 501(c)3 organization.
The League of Women Voters encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues and influence public policy through education and advocacy.
We are Nonpartisan
We do not support or oppose individual candidates or political parties.
League members are encouraged to be politically active, to attend candidates’ meetings and caucuses, to support candidates of their choice and to run for office themselves. Individual members should not associate their own views on issues or their partisan activities with the League as an organization.
In the League, we ...
- Act to achieve solutions in the public interest on key community issues at all government levels.
- Build citizen participation in the democratic process.
- Engage our community in promoting positive solutions to public policy issues through education and advocacy.
- Study key community issues at all levels of government in an unbiased manner.
- Enable people to seek positive solutions to public policy issues through education and conflict management.
Our Core Values ...
- We are a nonpartisan political membership organization.
- We believe that grassroots initiatives and consensus building are the strengths of our organization.
- We believe that our organization models the principles of good governance.
- We consider well before taking action and prepare well before beginning to act.
- We believe that citizenship requires knowledge, as well as the ability and will to act.
- We believe that the responsibility of good government rests on the shoulders of its citizens.
- We believe that the rights of citizens at home and abroad are interdependent.
We believe in ...
- respect for individuals.
- the value of diversity.
- the empowerment of the grassroots, both within the League and in communities.
- the power to collective decision making for the common good.
We will ...
- act with trust, integrity and professionalism.
- operate in an open and effective manner to meet the needs of those we serve, both members and the public.
- take the initiative in seeking diversity in membership.
- acknowledge our heritage as we seek our path to the future.